Job Title: CRC Modern Apprentice
Type: Modern Apprenticeship
Contract: Fixed Term – 12 months
Hours: Monday – Friday 9 – 5pm
Centre for Research Collections, Library & University Collections, Information Services
The Centre for Research Collections (CRC) is the main space for anyone using the University of Edinburgh’s historic and heritage collections, including special collections, archives and museum collections.
- To learn how to provide front line support for users accessing the University’s cultural and heritage collections at the Centre for Research Collections and associated sites (St Cecilia’s Hall, Scottish Studies Archives, University Collections Facility).
- To gain skills to provide invigilation and user support to the students and staff of the University as well as external researchers and visitors, whilst ensuring the safety and security of valuable and unique collection items.
- To learn how to provide a first point of contact for enquiries relating to the University’s heritage collections, giving answers at point of need and to remote users.
- To assist staff to carry out background tasks as are required to support the service.
This role will be working with the CRC Users Services Team in the Centre for Research Collections to provide access to the University’s historic and heritage collections. It will also include working at other associated sites that provide access to collections (St Cecilia’s Hall, Scottish Studies Archives and University Collections Facility). Working closely with team members at each of these locations, you will gain experience of delivering exceptional customer service to students, staff and visitors to the collections. Each of these locations is on the University campus with their own small team and their own collection, but operates as part of the wider Library and University Collections department.
What might a day in this job look like?
Typical duties for this role will include
- Welcoming students, staff and visitors to the CRC and associated sites
- Responding to simple enquiries in person and via e-mail
- Learning how to provide introductions for new users including registrations, catalogue and searching guidance and procedures to be followed for using the collections
- Gaining experience of providing invigilation in a reading room to ensure users follow our procedures and guidance on using any equipment
- Collecting and re-shelving items that have been requested by users
- After instruction, providing tours and basic information about the collection items on display in our musical instrument museum
What will I Learn?
- Customer service
- Using own initiative
- Problem solving
Gain Qualification: Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship in Customer Service (SCQF level 6)
What Qualifications / Qualities are required?
- We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and willing to learn about providing excellent customer service in the heritage and tourism sector
- We would like someone punctual and reliable, who is self-motivated and committed to forging a career in this area
- Accurate and methodical, with the ability to be flexible and to deal with problems as they arise
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with a friendly personality who is approachable and willing to help
- Qualifications required – minimum of National 5 in English and Maths
- Working understanding of IT packages
- Have an interest in working with library, museum or archive collections
- We are looking for someone who will be capable of fulfilling the physical demands of the role, such as moving books and using trolleys to transport them
- A willingness to participate in a Modern Apprentice programme
- Modern Apprenticeships are open to people of any age, in this instance, funding for training is available to those aged 16-24.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Wednesday 22ndMay