Job Title: CRC Modern Apprentice
Type: Modern Apprenticeship
Contract: Fixed Term – 12 months
Salary: £17,046 per annum
The University of Edinburgh
To maintain our reputation as one of the world’s leading universities, we recruit the best people to a variety of support, professional and academic roles each year. We offer an exciting, positive, creative, challenging and rewarding place to work. We give you support, nurture your talent, develop and reward success and integrate professional and personal career goals, as well as give your career the benefit of a great and distinguished reputation. In addition, our employees benefit from a competitive reward package and a wide range of staff benefits.
The Centre for Research Collections (CRC) is the main space for anyone using the University of Edinburgh’s historic and heritage collections, including rare books, archives and museum collections. The centre is part of Information Services, the part of the university that provide library and IT services.
The apprentice is part of the CRC User Services team. This consists of a Services Manager, Services Supervisor, 7 library assistants, 3 student posts and the apprentice. The team is responsible for delivering excellent customer service to students, staff and visitors who wish to access the collections. It is a friendly and supportive environment, with colleagues on hand to support the apprentice at all times.
This role will be working with the CRC Users Services Team in the Centre for Research Collections to provide access to the University’s historic and heritage collections. It will also include working at other associated sites that provide access to collections (St Cecilia’s Hall, Scottish Studies Archives and University Collections Facility). Working closely with team members at each of these locations, you will gain experience of delivering exceptional customer service to students, staff and visitors to the collections. Each of these locations is on the University campus with their own small team and their own collection, but operates as part of the wider Library and University Collections department.
What might a day in this job look like?
Typical duties for this role will include:
- Welcoming students, staff and visitors to the CRC and associated sites
- Responding to simple enquiries in person and via e-mail
- Learning how to provide introductions for new users including registrations, catalogue and searching guidance and procedures to be followed for using the collections
- Gaining experience of providing invigilation in a reading room to ensure users follow our procedures and guidance on using any equipment
- Collecting and re-shelving items that have been requested by users
What will I learn?
- Customer service
- Using own initiative
- Problem solving
Gain Qualification: Level 3 Modern Apprenticeship in Customer Service (SCQF level 6)
What Qualifications / Qualities are required?
- We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and willing to learn about providing excellent customer service in the heritage and tourism sector
- We would like someone punctual and reliable, who is self-motivated and committed to forging a career in this area
- Accurate and methodical, with the ability to be flexible and to deal with problems as they arise
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with a friendly personality who is approachable and willing to help
- Qualifications required – minimum of National 5 in English and Maths
- Working understanding of IT packages
- Have an interest in working with library, museum or archive collections
- We are looking for someone who will be capable of fulfilling the physical demands of the role, such as moving books and using trolleys to transport them
- A willingness to participate in a Modern Apprentice programme
- Modern Apprenticeships are open to people of any age, in this instance, funding for training is available to those aged 16-24.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email an up-to-date copy of your CV to email@example.com
Friday 19th June