Job Title: Administrative Assistant x 2
Type: Modern Apprenticeship
Contract: Fixed Term – 12 Months
Salary: £16,500 per annum
Royal College of Nursing. With a membership of over 435,000, the RCN is the largest professional association and union of nursing staff and students in the UK. We’re proud to be a leading player in the development of nursing policy and practice, with an influential voice at home and abroad. Plus, in The Sunday Times 100 Best Not for Profit Organisations to work for, and are accredited with Investors in People Gold Standard. So join us, and you’ll have the chance to nurture your career and improve standards of care.
Working in an office based team.
What might a day in this job look like?
Communications & Public Affairs Modern Apprentice
Supporting the communications and public affairs team, you will have the opportunity to get involved in campaigns and help us get our message out to members and stakeholders through our website and social media. You will:
- Assist in answering telephone enquiries, handling sensitive information with absolute discretion.
- Make travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Monitor and update RCN Scotland social media accounts and support the delivery of social media plans
- Regularly update the RCN Scotland website and support the development of creative digital content
- Provide reception cover at lunch time and when required, greeting visitors, booking taxis and couriers, managing the in-coming and out-going mail.
- Provide administrative support for events, internally and externally.
- Assist with meeting room set up and break down, including clearing of catering.
- Provide support to the Director’s Executive Assistant
The hours of work are Monday 08.30-17.00; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 09.00-17.00; and Friday 09.00-4.30; although the post-holder will be required to work flexibly in accordance with the needs of the role.
Knowledge & Research Modern Apprentice
Supporting the knowledge and research team, you will be the first point of contact welcoming RCN members and visitors to our library and exhibition, help to run our programme of events and to ensure members can get the most from the services we offer. You will:
- Provide customer service visitors within the Learning Hub including greeting visitors, answering routine enquiries, and opening and closing the Learning Hub
- Support for events taking place in workplaces and universities including booking arrangements for venues, communicating with delegates, packing and receiving RCN materials for events, and arranging couriers to transport materials
- Assist the Knowledge and Research Manager with membership recruitment and retention administration including ordering and maintaining publications and events stock, and support for activities in an accurate, timely and professional manner
- Make travel and accommodation arrangements
- Arrange both internal and external meetings and ensure staff diaries are up to date
- Process in-coming and out-going mail for the team, including checking in journals, returned books and shelving journals and books
- Update member records on the library management system as required, including assisting members with book loans including postal loans
- Maintain and update weekly statistics on library and information services
- Provide reception cover one afternoon a week and when required, greeting visitors, booking taxis and couriers, managing the in-coming and out-going mail.
The hours of work are Monday-Friday 09.00-17.00; although the post-holder will be required to work flexibly in accordance with the needs of the role.
What will I Learn?
- You will develop a variety of skills including team work, communication and customer service skills.
- SVQ Level 3 Business Administration
What Qualifications / Qualities are required?
We are looking for two enthusiastic individuals to join our team, providing administrative support to staff and RCN members at the RCN Scotland Edinburgh Office.
Minimum five Standard Grades (or equivalent) with at least 1 or 2 in English
We are looking for team players who:
- Are self-reliant whilst seeking advice and support when required
- Are open to sharing knowledge and learning from others
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Listen carefully, asks questions and record information accurately
- are helpful, courteous and patient
- Develop productive relationships within and outside the team
- Offer support and help to colleagues
- Respect and utilise the expertise of colleagues
- Plan work to ensure ability to deliver a quality service
- Adapt plans or reprioritise to respond to urgent needs
- Demonstrate the ability to work within tight timescales
- Contribute ideas for making improvements
- Respond quickly to request for information
- Demonstrate initiative
- Take personal ownership of projects
How to Apply:
Please send your CV to email@example.com
17 February 2019; Interviews Thursday 28 February 2019