Job Title: Modern Apprentice
Tenure: 1 Year Fixed Term Apprentice Contract
Department: RCN Scotland
Location: RCN Scotland HQ (Edinburgh)
Reports to: Knowledge and Research Manager
Hours: 35 hours per week
Grade: Apprentice, SVQ Level 3
Salary: £17,304 per annum
The Apprentice will provide a range of administrative support for the delivery of an excellent service to RCN members including support for events, activities to recruit RCN members in workplaces and at universities, supporting the delivery of library and information services across Scotland and providing administrative support to the Knowledge and Research team.
Main duties and responsibilities
Specific role duties
- Provide customer service to RCN members accessing virtual library services from the Knowledge and Research team, including checking team email boxes and ensuring e-mail, postal and telephone requests are processed in a timely and effective manner to agreed standards.
- Provide customer service to RCN members and other visitors within the Learning Hub area of the RCN Edinburgh Office as a first point of contact for the team, including greeting visitors, answering routine enquiries, and opening and closing the Learning Hub library and exhibition space.
- Support for virtual events taking place on a variety of digital platforms including booking delegates, promotion of events, communicating with delegates, and assisting during events.
- Support for exhibition events and events taking place in workplaces and universities including booking arrangements for venues, promotion of events, communicating with delegates, packing and receiving RCN materials, and arranging couriers to transport materials.
- Support for events taking place within the RCN Edinburgh Office, including: e.g. preparing, printing and circulating papers; booking rooms and equipment; ordering catering, and providing relevant support at selected events. Assist with meeting room set up and break down, including setting out and clearing of catering
- Assist with activities to recruit and retain RCN members including ordering and maintaining publications and materials stock, and support for activities in an accurate, timely and professional manner. Store incoming publications and materials quickly and efficiently, ensuring items are accurately checked and stored safely.
- Make travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Process in-coming and out-going mail for the team.
- Provide customer service to members using the Learning Hub library resources including checking in journals, assisting members with book loans including postal loans, and shelving journals and books.
- Assist in answering telephone enquiries, handling sensitive information with absolute discretion.
- Update member records on the library management system as required.
- Under the instruction of the Knowledge and Research Manager, arrange both internal and external meetings and ensure staff diaries are up to date.
- Tidy and maintain the Learning Hub area, providing a friendly and welcoming environment with a professional attitude.
- Keep appropriate records, including updating weekly statistics on exhibitions, events, and library and information services.
- Maintain electronic filing systems, ensuring optimum use of information technology.
- Provide reception cover for a half day per week, and at other times as required, greeting visitors, alerting staff of their arrival and directing to their destination, answering telephone enquiries, providing information to callers, taking and relaying messages, booking rooms, taxis and couriers and managing the in-coming and out-going mail, receiving faxes and deliveries and informing relevant staff.
- While on reception, responsible for the security of the building during office hours through visitor log book and security passes.
- Provide other administrative support as required and participate in centralised administrative support duties.
- Maximise all opportunities available to encourage member recruitment and promote the benefits of joining the RCN
- Promote the RCN as the organisation that represents nurses and nursing, promotes excellence in practice and shapes health policies
Health & Safety
- Every employee will co-operate in maintaining safe and healthy working environments by complying with RCN Health and Safety Policy and subsidiary policies and procedures relevant to their work activities
- All staff must comply with the Royal College of Nursing’s No Smoking Policy.
Equality and Diversity
- Promote good equality practice and play a key role in ensuring equality of opportunity in the workplace
- Observe all the relevant law relating to equality of opportunities
- Encourage a working atmosphere where everyone is treated with dignity and respect
- The RCN is working towards equality of opportunity and staff are required to bear this in mind when carrying out their duties. It is also our policy to ensure that all staff are treated with respect, fairness and without discrimination at work
Any Other Duties
- The postholder will work collaboratively with other appropriate parts of the RCN to provide a seamless service for RCN Members
- The postholder must maintain confidentiality and sensitivity to information at all times
- To undertake additional duties as requested by the Line Manager
How to apply:
Please send an up-to-date copy of your CV to email@example.com