Job Title: Medical Receptionist/Admin assistant
Type: Modern Apprenticeship
Salary: £5460.00 – £9594.00
Hours: Monday – Friday 8.00 – 6pm (Shifts)
This is a permanent part-time post 25 hour over 5 days between 8 and 6.
Closing Date: Wednesday 19thSeptember
Eastfield Medical Practice, Eastfield Farm Road, Penicuik, EH26 8EZ, General Practice
You will be working in a small and highly skilled office based team. Flexibility and a willingness to learn new skills in an ever changing environment is essential.
What might a day in this job look like?
- Respond to all queries and requests for assistance from patients in a positive and courteous manner, always remembering that the receptionist is the person by whom the practice is first judged.
- Explain practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those seeking temporary care, ensure procedures are completed.
- Enter requests for home visits and advice calls into computer system, with all relevant information, including time of call. If any doubt as to the urgency of request refer immediately to the duty doctor.
- Advise patients of relevant charges for private services, accept payment and issue receipts for same.
- Receive and record requests for repeat prescriptions
- Take in and record, specimens from patients that have been handed in for onward transmission to laboratory.
MANAGEMENT OF APPOINTMENT SYSTEMS
- Ensure total familiarity with all appointment systems in effect, including regular and incidental variations.
- Book appointments and recalls, ensuring sufficient information is recorded to enable easy monitoring of appointments.
MANAGEMENT OF MEDICAL RECORDS
- Ensure that relevant medical records are available for the doctor, if required, in the instances of medical report requests and home visits. Print an electronic summary sheet for all home visit requests.
- Retrieve and return records as required taking scrupulous care to file records accurately.
- Ensure correspondence, reports, results are scanned and filed into correct record.
- Ensure that correspondence for or requested by a GP is put into the relevant basket for action by that GP.
- Understand and operate registration and basic data entry procedures.
OPERATION OF TELEPHONE SYSTEMS
- Receive and promptly make calls or send faxes as required. Divert calls and take messages as appropriate.
MAINTAIN, UPDATE AND MONITOR PRACTICE INFORMATION SYSTEMS INCLUDING COMPUTERISED SYSTEM
- Enter all relevant information, as directed, onto practice database, for example new registrations, change of address etc
- Assist with data entry items for the purpose of contract returns, record keeping and the maintenance of good patient record keeping
- Assist with the recall of patients for annual review of chronic conditions
- Give assistance to the practice manager in the delivery of IT password changes and assistance when there is an IT problem requiring attention.
- IT Security Policy and Confidentiality must be adhered to at all times.
- Welcome practice guests, prepare and offer light refreshments as appropriate.
- Undertake training and development opportunities.
- Participate in the training of junior members of staff when requested within your knowledge and skills limits
- Obtain a working knowledge of the jobs performed by other staff members and be prepared to help with these if requested.
- Know and observe all practice protocols and procedures.
- Attend staff meetings and social events whenever possible.
- Monitor the Health and Safety of patients, self and colleagues in line with practice policy and procedures in relation to statutory requirements.
- Ensure reception, waiting areas and office areasare kept tidy and stocked with all required paperwork to facilitate effective patient management
- Adhere to and be aware of all confidentiality policies at all times both within and outwith working hours
This description is not comprehensive. The post holder should be prepared to carry out any task or function considered appropriate to the post even if not specifically listed here.
What will I Learn?
Soft Skills (e.g. Communication; Teamwork; Problem Solving; etc.)
SVQ Level 3 in Business Administration
Industry related training / qualification (NHS training in reception skills and many other areas with regards to the operating system, patient handling etc)
What Qualifications / Qualities are required?
Eastfield Medical Practice in Penicuik is looking for an enthusiastic and motivated person to join our reception team. We are seeking a reliable individual who is flexible to cover sickness/holiday leave, with excellent communication, organisational, keyboard and IT skills. A pleasant telephone manner, good customer care skills and the ability to work under pressure and prioritise workloads is essential.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV to email@example.com