JOB TITLE: Business Administration Modern Apprentice
LINE MANAGER: Corporate Officer
DATE: October 2021
Museums Galleries Scotland is the National Development Body for the Scottish museums sector. We’re here to support more than 400 museums and galleries, whether through strategic investment, advice, advocacy, skills development or other means. You can find out more about our objectives, business plan and day to day goals on our website: https://www.museumsgalleriesscotland.org.uk/about-us/
MGS currently has 34 staff. We have Gold Investors in People accreditation, are a Disability Confident Committed employer and a Living Wage Employer.
MGS has a modern open-plan office at Waverley Gate in central Edinburgh, we are also set up for a range of flexible working options including home working.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
This is an opportunity to contribute to the work of a busy Resources team, learn valuable vocational skills and gain a qualification in Business Administration at SCQF level 6.
The Business Administration Modern Apprentice is a varied role working with a range of colleagues and contacts, supporting the day to day running of an organisation and offering the chance to develop new skills.
With a strong customer focus, the Business Administration Modern Apprentice brings a positive, can-do attitude, great organisational skills and an interest in supporting and improving business processes. This role gives the opportunity to be involved in a variety of projects and programmes and to be a point of connection across teams in a fast-paced environment.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with Resources team colleagues to deliver business improvement activities.
- Support creation and maintenance of staff resources and documents.
- Maintain and monitor CRM database information.
- Provide support for MGS events, meetings and training courses.
- Provide administrative support for projects and programmes and be a point of connection across the organisation.
- Support good document and data management.
- Deal with general enquiries via email and telephone.
- Provide day to day office and facilities support including ordering supplies and managing equipment.
- Manage meeting room setup, catering and paid room bookings [depending on activity in line with Covid-19 restrictions]
- Assist staff with travel arrangements on occasion.
The above mentioned tasks and responsibilities constitute an overview and not an exhaustive list. Workload and priorities is ultimately determined by the annual MGS Business Plan.
- Build and nurture effective working relationships across the organsation
- Collaborate with other staff to support and deliver MGS projects and programmes
- Work fairly and with integrity and adapt style to different people, cultures and situations
- This role works closely with the whole Resources team
The successful candidate will manifest MGS’s core values: collaboration, integrity, passion for museums, and courageousness.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Demonstrable administrative skills
- Strong organisational skills and managing a varied workload
- Attention to detail
- Ability to use initiative
- Working with data and documents
- Understanding of business processes
- Strong customer focus and ability to communicate positively with a range of people
- Pro-active attitude to learning and development
- Using Microsoft Office (or equivalent) and working with a variety of systems
- Organising or supporting events, hospitality or travel
- Use of Microsoft Teams or similar software
- Nat 4 qualification or equivalent or equivalent experience
HOW YOU WORK
MGS has a behavioural competency framework which describes how we expect people to go about their work day-to-day. Staff must demonstrate the following skills areas at an appropriate level:
- Works collaboratively
- Communicating with impact
- Respect, inclusion and integrity
- Effective decision-making
- Sector focus
- Drive for results
- Innovation, agility and building capability
In particular this role requires someone who collaborates well and promotes this approach across teams, can make effective decisions following appropriate criteria, organises and plans work effectively, readily contributes ideas and willingly adapts working practices to support changes.
Regional travel may be required occasionally [in line with Covid-19 guidance]
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send an up to date copy of your CV to email@example.com